Skip to main content

Metamorphosis

There's an oft-repeated story about a little boy and a butterfly, which goes thus-
Once a little boy playing outdoors, found a fascinating caterpillar. He carefully picked it up and took it home to show his mother. He asked his mother if he could keep it, and she said he could if he would take good care of it. The little boy got a large jar from his mother and put plants to eat, and a stick to climb on, in the jar. Every day he watched the caterpillar and brought it new plants to eat.
One day the caterpillar climbed up the stick and started acting strangely. The boy worriedly called his mother who came and understood that the caterpillar was creating a cocoon. The mother explained to the boy how the caterpillar was going to go through a metamorphosis and become a butterfly. The little boy was thrilled to hear about the changes his caterpillar would go through. He watched every day, waiting for the butterfly to emerge.
Then it happened, a small hole appeared in the cocoon and the butterfly started to struggle to come out. At first the boy was excited, but soon he became concerned. The butterfly was struggling so hard to get out! It looked like it couldn’t break free! It looked desperate! It looked like it was making no progress! The boy was so concerned, he decided to help. He snipped the cocoon to make the hole bigger and the butterfly quickly emerged!
As the butterfly came out the boy was surprised. It had a swollen body and small, shriveled wings. He continued to watch the butterfly expecting that, at any moment, the wings would dry out, enlarge and expand to support the swollen body. He knew that in time the body would shrink and the butterfly’s wings would expand. But neither happened! The butterfly spent the rest of its life crawling around with a swollen body and shriveled wings. It never was able to fly…
What the boy in his kindness and haste did not understand was that the restricting cocoon and the struggle required for the butterfly to get through the tiny opening were nature's way of forcing fluid from the body of the butterfly into its wings so that it would be ready for flight once it achieved its freedom from the cocoon.
The Butterfly NEEDED that struggle.
When I first heard this story, it didn't have an impact- a thumping to the mind or a jolt to the soul, nothing. It was a good story but I couldn't relate to it. But as they say, nothing in nature is ever lost- that every sound ever made, every word ever spoken, still exists somewhere in space and time, and may one day be recalled... This story came back to mind recently for reasons quite obvious.
For the past few days, I have been trying to find a direction, a definition to my life. I am afraid of the ignorance that surrounds me; petrified of being clueless. And yet I know, these are not necessarily the darkest moments of my life! Still, there is a deep struggle to “find me” and to “know me”. I guess, I am just hoping for a revelation.
As humans, we have too many transformations, too many stages of Metamorphosis. It's not a straight phase- caterpillar-cocoon-butterfly. Nah, there's so much more.. and as we change through time, we become our own doppelgangers. And in the end, something more beautiful than what we've started as. We begin crude and raw but then there's nothing in the caterpillar that tells you it's going to be a butterfly. And to be the butterfly, don't count the months to your struggle, count the moments. Feel the strength accumulate through the struggle. Amidst all this, does it come as a surprise that the ancient Greek word for "butterfly" is ψυχή (psȳchē), which primarily means "soul" or "mind"? Is that God's little secret whispering to us for eons through the nature?
Today, when I see a butterfly flying high, I smile because I know that as the butterfly flies strong and free... it is through the divine plan. And there's also a plan for me! 
Life is certainly about struggles and what becomes of us as we pass through each  of those struggles.
I believe God has placed in every one of us, the ability and then the opportunity to have a metamorphosis. Mine had just begun..

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Random Ramblings-2

Y et another stream of thoughts interrupted, with the loud thundering noise outside. As I look through the plain glass window, the gathering of the ominous clouds casting their shadows on the ground below, I firmly come to the conclusion that out there is where I belong, not in this stuffy classroom loaded with a monologue! Out there, filling my senses with the smell of the wet Earth, kiss of the first showers, sight of the overcast sky and the strangely comforting sound of thunder, as of the pitter patter rain drops while tasting the pure drops of water from the heavens themselves—that is where I truly belong, feeling alive with every single passing moment. Rains always evoked that excitement in me. Rains always held that mystique calling. They brought the smile back on my face and a pining in the lit up eyes. And though I may rave and rant about the summers and winters, the rains- whenever they come are most welcome. They have my heart and every feeling that is inspire

Live…Laugh…Love…

A bright ray of light infiltrated through the small crack in the translucent window and perched itself stubbornly on my shut eyes, urging me to get out of my bed and enjoy the marvels of the sunny morning. I smiled, yes, because I believe in starting my day with a smile in the heart and a song on the lips. Last night, I had gone to bed listening to Taylor Swift’s “Love Story”, so now the song began playing in my mind automatically, on a loop. I welcomed some more sunshine into my room and walked out to the sprawling terrace, to warm up to the day that lay ahead. A cool breeze blew a few strands of my unkempt hair and I stood there, while happy birds were chirping, singing their hearts out, calling out to their mates, flocking together in the blue skies above. The fog was clearing slowly and steadily. And the path was becoming clear. The nights were cold and chilly but along came the mornings that warmly cuddle you with boundless hope and a silent happiness. In the past few

Autumn Joy

Joy walked across the park where a beautiful young woman was sitting with a yellow maple leaf in her hands.  "You never cease to amaze me, Joy. One minute, you're following me around like a petty pot of glue and as soon as I'm out of the picture, you're onto conquering the next challenge." "Look who's talking", laughed Joy, "While you last, you're a celebration. And then you're gone, for months on end. You raise desperate hopes and then leave a cold trail. And right when I'm recovering from the void you'd left behind, you jump back in, more beautiful and vibrant than before. How am I to help myself?" "Stop chasing me", Autumn snapped mischievously.  "I would if I could", Joy answered matter-of-factly. Her laugh was crisp, like the raking of leaves.  "You're always changing Autumn, you're in a constant flux. It's taken me many seasons to learn and accept that you'd