Skip to main content

The Diary of Anne Frank

" It's really a wonder that I haven't dropped all my ideals, because they seem so absurd and impossible to carry out. Yet I keep them, because in spite of everything I still believe that people are really good at heart. I simply can't build up my hopes on a foundation consisting of confusion, misery and death.  I think... peace and tranquillity will return again. "
-Anne Frank
Peace and Tranquility did return, if only for a brief period of time, but she wasn't there to see it. I must admit that "The Diary of Anne Frank" was a disturbing read. It is an anti-thesis of what it sets to represent. Anne's diary reverberates hope, a hope of survival and a hope to live the life she truly deserves. Both of which weren't in her fortune. 
Some books require you to have the guts to read them and "The Diary of Anne Frank" is one such. It took me weeks to get out of the state of gloom I was pushed in to by reading the book.
Anne is like any other teenager. She exhibits exuberant cheerfulness and conflicting emotions coupled with an intense desire to live. Her struggle to make herself understood to the people who matter the most to her isn't any different than ours. Deep within, she is continuously on the path of discovering herself. At times, she displays such fine maturity that can completely shock you for a second; she speaks such fine wisdom that is at once both profound and simple. The fact that she isn't a figment of a thoughtful author's imagination adds to the depression. Pick up a teenagers diary and give it a read, you'd most certainly find the exact same contents. But, what it additionally offers you is the insight in to living a life of constant fear and unbelievable hope. Anne and her family along with a few other friends went in to hiding for about 2 years before getting caught. Imagine yourself being locked up in a house for a week(with all supplies enough to last you for two weeks) but with a truth that if you were to be found, you will have to face death, nothing less. She lived through these horrors and yet, she was genuinely optimistic. When she talks about returning to school in a few months, when she yearns for stepping in to the sun, when she talks of her future- her hopes and ambitions...it's hard not to let your heart go out to her. What makes it worse is the realization that those things she dreams about, would never happen.
Anne was 15 years old when she died in horrible conditions at a concentration camp. 
I would think twice before suggesting you to give it a read but if you dare, I wouldn't stop you. Of course, I do not regret reading it. True, the book is an anti-thesis. It talks of hope but the reality is despair. It talks of living but ends in death. It resonates faith but meets just the opposite.
But as they say, it's your perspective that matters, not the problem. So, I would say it's an inspiring read because it reminds you of what you have and what you can set to accomplish. Anne didn't have a chance, never did, but you do.

Comments

  1. your articulation reflected extraordinary poignance :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Random Ramblings-2

Y et another stream of thoughts interrupted, with the loud thundering noise outside. As I look through the plain glass window, the gathering of the ominous clouds casting their shadows on the ground below, I firmly come to the conclusion that out there is where I belong, not in this stuffy classroom loaded with a monologue! Out there, filling my senses with the smell of the wet Earth, kiss of the first showers, sight of the overcast sky and the strangely comforting sound of thunder, as of the pitter patter rain drops while tasting the pure drops of water from the heavens themselves—that is where I truly belong, feeling alive with every single passing moment. Rains always evoked that excitement in me. Rains always held that mystique calling. They brought the smile back on my face and a pining in the lit up eyes. And though I may rave and rant about the summers and winters, the rains- whenever they come are most welcome. They have my heart and every feeling that is inspire

Live…Laugh…Love…

A bright ray of light infiltrated through the small crack in the translucent window and perched itself stubbornly on my shut eyes, urging me to get out of my bed and enjoy the marvels of the sunny morning. I smiled, yes, because I believe in starting my day with a smile in the heart and a song on the lips. Last night, I had gone to bed listening to Taylor Swift’s “Love Story”, so now the song began playing in my mind automatically, on a loop. I welcomed some more sunshine into my room and walked out to the sprawling terrace, to warm up to the day that lay ahead. A cool breeze blew a few strands of my unkempt hair and I stood there, while happy birds were chirping, singing their hearts out, calling out to their mates, flocking together in the blue skies above. The fog was clearing slowly and steadily. And the path was becoming clear. The nights were cold and chilly but along came the mornings that warmly cuddle you with boundless hope and a silent happiness. In the past few

Autumn Joy

Joy walked across the park where a beautiful young woman was sitting with a yellow maple leaf in her hands.  "You never cease to amaze me, Joy. One minute, you're following me around like a petty pot of glue and as soon as I'm out of the picture, you're onto conquering the next challenge." "Look who's talking", laughed Joy, "While you last, you're a celebration. And then you're gone, for months on end. You raise desperate hopes and then leave a cold trail. And right when I'm recovering from the void you'd left behind, you jump back in, more beautiful and vibrant than before. How am I to help myself?" "Stop chasing me", Autumn snapped mischievously.  "I would if I could", Joy answered matter-of-factly. Her laugh was crisp, like the raking of leaves.  "You're always changing Autumn, you're in a constant flux. It's taken me many seasons to learn and accept that you'd