Skip to main content

The interconnectedness of perceptions

 (This post is based on my experience in Dublin during my short stay between July 2016 - September 2016. Specifically, this post talks about the sights, sounds, feelings and thoughts I experienced between 9 PM and 9 AM on a regular day.)


Sights & Thoughts : I fall asleep each night, looking out through the large glass panel which forms one of the 4 walls of the room. I'm collecting my thoughts for the day ahead, reminiscing on the events of the day gone by and making mental lists of things to do and to not do. Every now and then, I feel compelled to shift from the cozy position I've curled up under the sheets just to make the note in the mobile, but decide against it considering the great amount of effort it'd take to move, reach out to the mobile, in the process of making the note, also check the mails and messages - a series of activities that'd take up to the next 30-45 minutes. The last sight every night is the same, the fading out of the lights, once bright but now no more than twinkle, slowly everything becomes black and I slip in to an oblivion. 

Sounds & Feelings : It's eerily quiet and I can sometimes hear the cars passing by on the street from across the apartment, which is usually a busy street during the day but not so much after 10pm. The temperatures are pleasant right now, but there's an unmistakable hint of the winter closing in, slowly but surely. Which can probably explain lesser and lesser people on the road past mid night as the weeks progressed from mid July. I'm sometimes woken up by a sudden sound - thud of a door in the hallway, a shriek from the street, a ping on the mobile, noisy neighbors, car alarms, but sometimes by something inexplicable that keeps me up for the next few hours till I eventually decide to surrender to sleep once again, leaving the mystery to the moon.

Sights & Sounds : I usually wake up minutes before my alarm goes off or sometimes exactly a minute before 7 AM. Sometimes the first sight is that of a beautiful bright blue sky, sometimes a blanket of dull white fog. I smile regardless. The smile is brightest on weekends and holidays. The smile is accompanied by a countdown to weekend on weekdays, the closer I'm to weekend, the brighter the smile. A sense of duty engulfs me right after I wake up and I first make a call to my family. It's usually around the time my parents just finish their coffee mid-day break. If my dad picks up the phone, he's transmits energy and enthusiasm, if my mom picks it up, she lends her cheer and positivity. Either ways, 15 minutes later, I'm poised to take on the day. 

Thoughts & Feelings : The shower takes an easy 10 minutes, it's the process after showering and before stepping out of the apartment that threatens to take forever. On the extremely lucky days, I can pick out what I want to wear, actually put it on and leave. On other days, it takes about 3 iterations to get the look I want. Days like that I settle on blue jeans and collared t-shirts, hair drawn in to a high pony tail and a pair of sneakers. Oh well, the sneakers are for every day regardless of what I wear. I admit I'm not the best person for fashion advice. Comfort clothes and sneakers win 9/10 times. The one time they don't win is when they're all in the laundry. I grab a jacket as I head out, it's either cold or raining despite how "sunny" it seems. On the walk to (and fro) office, I pass by a number of strangers, each in a hurry. I like to wonder what's going on in their lives, what are their thoughts as they walk to work today, what major challenges await them and how successful they'd be in tackling them. There's also some constants in my daily walk, the river Liffey, the construction worker at the old mill which is being demolished to raise a brand big office space and the unnamed stranger who I wish good morning to as we pass each other. A little less than 17 minutes later, I'm at the office doors, wondering if chaos or certainty await me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Random Ramblings-2

Y et another stream of thoughts interrupted, with the loud thundering noise outside. As I look through the plain glass window, the gathering of the ominous clouds casting their shadows on the ground below, I firmly come to the conclusion that out there is where I belong, not in this stuffy classroom loaded with a monologue! Out there, filling my senses with the smell of the wet Earth, kiss of the first showers, sight of the overcast sky and the strangely comforting sound of thunder, as of the pitter patter rain drops while tasting the pure drops of water from the heavens themselves—that is where I truly belong, feeling alive with every single passing moment. Rains always evoked that excitement in me. Rains always held that mystique calling. They brought the smile back on my face and a pining in the lit up eyes. And though I may rave and rant about the summers and winters, the rains- whenever they come are most welcome. They have my heart and every feeling that is inspire

Live…Laugh…Love…

A bright ray of light infiltrated through the small crack in the translucent window and perched itself stubbornly on my shut eyes, urging me to get out of my bed and enjoy the marvels of the sunny morning. I smiled, yes, because I believe in starting my day with a smile in the heart and a song on the lips. Last night, I had gone to bed listening to Taylor Swift’s “Love Story”, so now the song began playing in my mind automatically, on a loop. I welcomed some more sunshine into my room and walked out to the sprawling terrace, to warm up to the day that lay ahead. A cool breeze blew a few strands of my unkempt hair and I stood there, while happy birds were chirping, singing their hearts out, calling out to their mates, flocking together in the blue skies above. The fog was clearing slowly and steadily. And the path was becoming clear. The nights were cold and chilly but along came the mornings that warmly cuddle you with boundless hope and a silent happiness. In the past few

Autumn Joy

Joy walked across the park where a beautiful young woman was sitting with a yellow maple leaf in her hands.  "You never cease to amaze me, Joy. One minute, you're following me around like a petty pot of glue and as soon as I'm out of the picture, you're onto conquering the next challenge." "Look who's talking", laughed Joy, "While you last, you're a celebration. And then you're gone, for months on end. You raise desperate hopes and then leave a cold trail. And right when I'm recovering from the void you'd left behind, you jump back in, more beautiful and vibrant than before. How am I to help myself?" "Stop chasing me", Autumn snapped mischievously.  "I would if I could", Joy answered matter-of-factly. Her laugh was crisp, like the raking of leaves.  "You're always changing Autumn, you're in a constant flux. It's taken me many seasons to learn and accept that you'd